Sunday, February 28, 2010

Super Bowl

of Bass Fishing.

If you would have asked me 10 years ago if I would go to a bass tournament? without hesitations I would have said, umm... NO, are you crazy? lost your marbles? or think just because I have a pond in my backyard that fishing interests me?? None of the above applied. Until... Jamie.
Who would ever think one man, one good looking, rugged, handsome specimen of a man could change me to this outdoor enthusiast. I use outdoor enthusiast lightly, because I really dont actually fish, hunt, shoot guns, etc. all the time like he does, BUT, because he loves the outdoors, and because I love him, I love the outdoors. Pink will be found somewhere in my outfit of choice for every event.

The crowds came in droves to the Super Bowl of Bass Fishing in B'ham. You got it. The mega bowl of raccoon faced, sun burnt bunch of men with big bellied fish.

Who would have ever thought I would know how to finesse a worm, or know which crank bait or shaky head worm to fish in muddy or clear water, or which bass wins more tournaments-spotted or large mouth bass. The things I do for Love.

Jamie took off work, and I took off work and what a date weekend it was. It all started with Waffle House, and then onto the bass expo where we saw all the latest and greatest things out there, and then we settled in for hours of watching all 51 anglers weigh in their fish. That's what you call a date in Birmingham!

It was a treat to see Mark Zona himself. We watch him every Saturday morning giving us the highlights on every bass tournament. That gets Jamie's weekend started off right.

Then, we found the best seats in the house for the Classic to begin. Lights, Camera, Action.

My favorite angler is by far Kevin Van Dam. He makes winning easier than peeling a banana, or hooking a worm on a hook, or well you've got the point. He is just a winner in my book.

BUT. This is a hometown fellow. Mr. Gerald Swindle. We met at the Wal-Mart in Calera last year. We talked. Now we are BFF. If you asked him he would tell you. You can't not root for Gerald! Dont tell KVD I told you that.

This is one of my other favs. Skeet Reese. When he used to have longer hair Jamie and Skeet favored. Enough said.

This is the man of the hour. He weighed in with an astounding 19.5 lbs. on the first day after fishing Lay lake.
If you looked up champion in the dictionary it would say: Kevin Van Dam.
Again. Enough said.

This is the Super Six. The top 6 anglers of the Classic. You could just feel the tension rise. Who will win? Will it be an upset? Will Kevin have a bad day fishing? Oh the torture.

It came down to Jeff Kriet and KVD. Jeff thought he had it all day long. Very confident in his fishing abilities. But I told you what you find in the dictionary and that is exactly what happened.

Winning by almost 6lbs. The new Bass Masters Classic Champion: KVD I know you are thinking of the "We Are The Champion" song. I am singing it as I type.

Lift that trophy high into the confetti. Winning $500,000. It is a good day.

I just relived an exciting moment in my life. My heart is pumping fast. I am going to go get me some water and go watch the reruns on tv.

Who would have ever thought...

2 comments:

Gina said...

I knew you were hooked when you looked over at me and said " I'm so nervous, I'm so scared Kenin won't win"

Courtney Higdon said...

lol!! I was more nervous than Jamie!