Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Worst Fear

So, last week my worst fears came to fruition. My incredibly hyper ball of fur needed a to be run to release some of the pent up energy...so my husband took Brodie to the hunt on the opening day of Dove season. Being so excited, Brodie got out to the woods and lasted all of 20 minutes before he was....bitten by a SNAKE!


Anyone who knows me knows that I have an unbelievable fear of snakes. I have nightmares if I watch or see snakes on t.v. Seriously! So when Jamie called me when I was at work and said that Brodie hurt his foot and he had to take him to the Animal Hospital I had my first parenting panic attack. I didn't think I would do that, but I just could not concentrate and needed to be there with him.


Needless to say, I left work slightly early. Brodie just needed to be nurtured and I just needed to be reassured that he was breathing and his leg was not falling off or anything. Being by yourself when you find out your puppy is hurt will make your mind think of weird and crazy things.


I must have confession time and get this off my chest. When I came home and realized that he would survive the bite, the doctor said to keep him off his foot, and that to me was very amusing. Brodie being still for any length of time...yeah right. The doc told us to give him Benadryl to keep him knocked out, so we did. I have to say that having him slightly sedated was the best 4 days of his puppy life. Oh my goodness, he was wonderful. All Brodie did was sleep and snuggle with you. Best time of my life with my fur ball child. I hate he was bitten by a snake, (I don't even like writing that word.. I just got the goose bumps.) but he was the best dog for a week!!


When I came home to nurture him the only word that I could think of was pitiful. He was absolutely the most pitiful looking dog ever!


Don't feel to sorry for him yet...he recovered very well, and is again terrorizing my dish towels and bath towels, and blankets, etc. Gotta love him. Even though it was only a short time calmness fell over our home, I will never forget it.

2 comments:

Angie Davis said...

poor "baby"!
glad you got a little bit of peace afterwards though. ;)

love your new header pic!

Gina said...

that first picture is one sad looking dog. Bless his bones.